As most of you may know, February is Heart Month. Let’s take some time to honor and remember those who have been affected by heart conditions and stroke. As the statistics tell us, heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the US. These facts amongst many of the others should be enough to motivate and inspire us to take better care of ourselves — so, does it move you?
There are so many approaches to take toward heart health, exercise, healthy fats, preventative health and the scientific, evidence-based list can go on and on. What about the other side of the heart, the feelings part. The part that cares, loves, feels and rejoices. What about the part that shows sympathy, joy or compassion? Although we are all born capable of expressing these feelings, as we are exposed to the influential world, oftentimes these feelings tend to mellow out. How can we cultivate those raw emotions that we were once capable of having? I know for me, I could really use a boost of heart healthy emotions. Here is my idea list so far:
- Spend time with the people you love – what friends or family light you up inside?
- Volunteer your time – BIG or small this one is limitless
- Donate blood – I find this one to be the easiest way to BE A HERO, such a great feeling.
- Pay if forward – whether its buying coffee for a stranger at the coffee shop or shoveling your neighbor’s sidewalk, how can you make someone’s day that much better?
- Teach someone a skill or craft or explore a new skill – what a fun way to learn!
- Learn about new cultures, religions, or countries – let’s take down those walls of hate with LOVE.
What ideas do you have to add to the list??
Steeped in Heart Health,